[Gpdd] [health] update on our Cleo...

Bob & Chris Robertson rssg at earthkink.net
Sat Apr 17 19:37:06 EDT 2004

Hi all-

I just wanted to tell you that Cleo, our girl, had surgery on Friday to
remove two lumps.  The largest was on her shoulder, and our vet said it was
getting very close to her lung, and if it attached it would have probably
killed her.  The second was in the groin area.  Both were removed in an hour
lumpectomy, and are the lumps are on their way to the lab for testing.

Cleo is doing great.  She will be 6 years old in May and she was eating
immediately after the surgery.  When we brought her home I knew she hurt,
but the vet has her on anti-inflamitories and antibiotics and she is now
moving around well, eating everything in sight and purring when you rub what
fur is left after all the surgical shaving.

We are really grateful that she made it so well.  It is always a concern
when you agree to put these little ones in for surgery.  Our Spookie had a
lump removed about three months ago and did really well, so when our vet
said he thought that surgery would save her, we decided to gamble and try
it.  Thank God it was the right choice.

My only concern now is what in my girls environment is causing these lumps
(cysts or growths, the lab work only tells the substance of them, not the
cause).  Cleo will be 6 in May and Spookie will be 5 in August.  I would
hope these little ones don't have to undergo any more surgery, but the fact
that both have had the same type lump in the past year makes me wonder why.

Never-the-less, we are just thankful that we adopted these two from a rescue
and that we were in a position to be able to take care of them (surgery is
not inexpensive).

Of course Cleo won't be wearing a bikini this summer - but she is glad she
will be here to enjoy the wonderful summer season.

Chris, Cleo (wheek - I have a 5" incision and a 3" incision - bring on the
coco butter), and Spookie - I am totally healed, and I just had a wonderful
day at the groomers having my fur cut.  Meanwhile, I have to nurse Cleo back
to health!  Such work.