[Gpdd] HEALTH - Reply to question regarding "Treatment of skin problems"

Georgina.Wien at wintershall.com Georgina.Wien at wintershall.com
Fri Apr 23 06:01:48 EDT 2004

Dear everyone,
I was behind on my reading of the digests, so I´m sorry my answer is a bit
late, but maybe it´ll help someone later on, when searching the archives.
Quite a few issues ago someone asked about treating a skin condition
(scurfs on nose and going upt to the ears), which sounded like a fungal
infection with secondary infection with "digging" mites (the kind that
lives in the layers of the skin rather than on top of, I´ve forgotten the
latin name, if someone is interested I´ll look it up though). For the mites
shots of ivomec always is a good choice. Treating the fungal infestation my
vet recommends a cream applied locally to soothe itching called nyomecin
and a new formulation called Program given orally. Program doesn´t affect
the pigs stomach and doesn´t have any side-effects on liver and kidneys
either, which the treatments in tablet forms do. Program is a millky-white
liquid given orally in a scheme of 0 day- 14 day- 28 day- 56 day in a dose
of 1 ml/kg weight. Only if the fungal infection hasn´t cleared up after
that she´ll treat the pig with the common medication in tablet form, which
is much more aggressive on their system.
Program doesn´t affect the pigs in any way, on the contrary it seems to
have a great taste.
Kind regards
Georgina