[Gpdd] Miscellaneous:New pig

Susan Glancy sglancy at pinn.net
Wed Apr 28 14:30:55 EDT 2004

Hi!

I have a question along the line of Janet's.  We just got a new little
girl pig from our local rescue shelter.  She's absolutely adorable!!
Well, I brought our 2yr old and 1 yr old female piggies with us in a large
carrier when we went to pick her up.  I had heard that it is best to let
them share a frightening experience such as a car ride b/c it helps to
bond them.  This is what we did when we introduced the two pigs we
currently have and it seemed to work.  They are great friends now.
Well, at first the "little one" (we haven't named her yet)was very bold
and sniffed both other girls and even tried to clean them.then at some point on the ride home, Poopsie, our oldest and fattest, had
enough and initiated a fight with her.  I was very worried the "little
one" was going to get hurt.  I had never seen two pigs fight like that
before.  I was about to pull over but then they stopped and "little one"
cowered in the corner the rest of the ride home along with our other pig,
Sniffles.  When we got home I put them all in our cage (it's a 5ft X 3 ft
C&C cage with an upper level).  They seemed to do OK but definately "on
edge".  There has been no more fighting or chattering so far.  It hasn't
been a full day yet.  Tommorrow I have to go work and was wondering if it
would be ok to keep them all in the same cage still.  I wouldn't want
another fight to break out.  I've read so much about introducing slowly,
etc. but as I said with our first two, that was not necessary and so far
things seem to be ok with "little one".
Am I doing something wrong by putting them all in the same cage this
early?  Also, since we've had "little one" home (about 5 hours) she hasn't
eaten.  Is this normal due to her stressful day and new environment?
Thanks so much for all of the help and advice you all offer!
Sue
Sniffles, Poopsie and "little one" makes three!