[Gpdd] Miscellaneous Re: Rainbow Bridge-Timothy

Guineapigfilms at aol.com Guineapigfilms at aol.com
Sun Aug 1 02:04:04 EDT 2004

Dear Julia,

I am so sorry for your loss.  Please believe me when I say you are only
guilty of loving your piggy so much that you wanted to do everything possible for
him.  If Timothy had lumps under his chin the size of golf balls, then the vet
was right---they would soon have affected him.  He might have died a very
prolonged, painful death if he hadn't had the surgery.  I feel very strongly that
you did the right thing.  But I know how you are feeling right now, because I
had a lovely pig named Waldo, who looked a bit like a very small Yorkie,
because of his long hair.  He was extremely intelligent and had loads of
personality, and used to run all around the kitchen, stopping to drink water out of the
dogs' bowl.  He would come when you called his name.  He knew the words
"Mommy" and "Daddy" and if someone said "Go to Mommy," he would run to my Mom.  He
was a very lively, extremely loveable little guy.  One day he just stopped
eating.  My mom and I took him to the vet several times, and each time we were t
old the same thing---that he was fine, his teeth were fine, he was healthy, and
maybe we were imagining it.  (Our regular exotics vet was on vacation, and her
partner---who seemed to know nothing about guinea pigs---was temporarily
taking her place.)  Finally we insisted that the vet do something to help Waldo,
as he was losing weight.  The vet agreed to take X-rays, but said he'd have to
anesthesize him.  He made us leave Waldo there while he put him to sleep and
took the X-rays.  We came back later that day to pick Waldo up, and he was
totally different---a very depressed pig.  I think he was missing us so much and
was so scared to be away from his home that he just sort of gave up on life.
The vet told us that the X-rays showed that Waldo was "fine" and told us to
take him home and "give him some more hay to perk him up."  We were extremely
upset, and very worried to see Waldo looking so miserable.  We took him home, and
he didn't live for more than a few days.  (About a month later my mom
happened to see the "substitute vet" in the grocery store, and he asked her quite
cheerily how Waldo was doing.  My mom told him that Waldo died.)  Of course, my
mom and I felt very guilty that we had taken Waldo to the vet in the first
place.  We felt that maybe the stress of the anesthesia plus his weakened
condition and homesickness contributed to his death.  He was never the same pig after
we brought him home from the vet after his X-rays.  But now even though I
still feel bad about it all, I know that we were trying to do the best we could
for the little guy.  We KNEW he was sick.  We have had more than 23 guinea pigs,
and we KNOW the signs of illness.  The vet dismissed our concern, thinking we
were "pet hypochondriacs."  Julia, what I am trying to say is that you will
realize, in time, that you were a wonderful "mom" to Timothy, and that you did
everything you could for him.  It wasn't your fault that he got the lumps.

The other suggestion I have is about burying Timothy, as you said you had to
move from your flat.  When one of our Yorkies died, we had him cremated, as we
were living in a temporary apartment.  I made a ceramic urn for him in a
Crafts Class and we keep the urn in our kitchen (surrounded by our Yorkie's
favorite toys and also a vase of artificial flowers).  We see it all the time, and
keep Winston forever in our memory.  Our vet (a different one, that we go to
with our dogs and cat, but who knows very little about guinea pigs) had him
cremated by the Animal Shelter.  Again, I am so very sorry about your loss, but
please find consolation in the fact that Timothy surely knew you loved him and
cared for him the best you could.

Love and (((HUGS)))xxx and Wheeeeeeeps,

Alyssa and the guinea pig movie stars
http://hometown.aol.com/guineapigfilms