[Gpdd] Health - update on Trix

alicia rogers aliciac.rogers at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 1 11:38:25 EDT 2004

Hello everybody --  I'm updating you all about Trix (who was rescued from the SPCA about a month ago) and is now recovering from being neutered.  Many of you wrote to me about your experiences, I cannot thank those who answered enough.   Anyway, Trix had his surgery this past Friday morning.  I was very nervous about leaving him, but my sister "babysat" me all day until it was time to pick him up; she kept me busy so I didn't sit around thinking and making things worse.  When the kids and I went in to get him, he was all wrapped up in a towel and obviously a bit drowsy, but the vet said he did very well.  As soon as I put him into his travel cage, he began to munch on the hay - I knew he would be OK.  We went home with pain meds, but I only gave it to him three times;  this morning he is running around almost like nothing happened.  He can't seem to get enough greens and carrots, and when I filled up his hay rack, he literally pounced at it.

I have expanded my guinea cage now to a 2 1/2 split level so Coco Puff and Trix can each have their own space.  Next month I plan to build in a ramp so they can gradually begin to visit and get to know each other.  Again, thanks to everyone who responded with great advice on how to get them together later on.

Guinea fever is catching - my niece, my sister and I recently traveled to Dallas to adopt two girl pigs from Texas Rustlers Guinea Pig Rescue (4 hours each way for us).  We have built a huge cage for them and they are settling in nicely.  They are supposed to belong to my niece, but I think her mom is getting pretty attached ( - :

Thanks to you all from Alicia, Coco Puff and Trix