[Gpdd] Behavior: Biting, Rumblestrutting sounds (the sound of seduction!)

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Sat Dec 4 14:46:41 EST 2004

Hi  Maria,
       Oh the dreaded death squeeze -- I assume a child was involved -- or a
hungry boa nosing around?
       #1 Rule: Take great care with GPs and young children -- they are far
more fragile than pet shops let on. They are  high maintenance animals and are
Not a great chose for a child's first pet. You will need to be very much
involved.
       Now -- I hope I haven't discourage you too much.  You're certainly at
the right place to learn a great deal about guinea pigs an you'll find we're
truly a supportive community.
       They require large cages -- write and ask about c&c cages -- I'm under
time pressure right now  or I'd go into it. Very very large tubs or bins can
work well temporarily.
       Now - as for this cooing pigeon like sound. He is attempting to
attract the lady's attention. Alas, while 8 weeks old is too young to breed it is
more than possible -- even likely. You may well already have little piggers on
the way. One of the problems with early mating is that the female herself is
still growing and that takes energy.  Please consider having you male neutered
if you're planning on keeping them together in a cage. It can work out very
well then.
       So yes -- all that you've worried about is very possible!
       By the way, some males rumblestrut and purr just, seemingly, for the
fun of it -- but if ladies are about....

Keep us posed and feel free to write often!

All best,
Alge and the Jolly Rodents  (all boars!  :)