[Gpdd] care: Guinea pig abuse

Debbieganley debg43 at ij.net
Fri Dec 24 02:37:26 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Debbieganley
To: mckaig at indiana.edu
Sent: Friday, December 24, 2004 2:35 AM
Subject: Guinea pig abuse

I read about the GP abuse suffered in your school & was sickened by it.  While I know that it in no way reflects on your code of student conduct or any of your policies, it still gives you something to think about, in the way you'll deal with the student involved in the abuse situation.

I urge you to expel the student from your school--if this student could commit such a horrendous act as a teen student, there is no telling what he/she will do as an adult.  Studies show that child animal abusers grow up to be human abusers of both children & spouses.  If a teen can throw an animal from a window, is it such a far stretch to imagine them throwing a child or spouse from another window?   It's in your hands to stop this abuse now--

I live in Florida & we recently had a case where a teen abused, killed & blinded several various pet llamas on a nearby farm.  We all thought that the teen would get off easy, since his dad was a member of local law enforcement.  It didn't happen--the kid got the fullest extent of the law thrown at him, he's now serving about 5 years in prison for animal abuse.  In my opinion, it's not half as much as he should have been sentenced to--but it's a start!   By prosecuting this student for his GP abuse, you can make an example of him & deter other students from doing something similar.  Thank you--Deb Ganley