[Gpdd] Health: treatment of bladderstones

Heather Cougar heather.cougar at simmons.edu
Sun Feb 8 15:58:42 EST 2004

I would also like to hear about non-surgical treatments for bladder stones. My Niles has one small stone, and our vet recommended Shilintong, which is not a prescription medicine but a Chinese herbal remedy. I could not find anything about its use in guinea pigs, but it seems to be very effective in relieving urinary system ailments in humans. (Which was fascinating to me, since I also suffer from kidney stones!)

I've never heard of Polycitra K or Actigal, or any other medicinal treatments other than antibiotics, which don't seem that they would be effective in breaking up the stone or aiding in passage. Another vet I spoke with didn't think any medicinal treatment would remove the stone, only surgery.

Any thoughts?

Heather