[Gpdd] RE: [CARE] <Guinea Pig Food>

Lauren Cordeiro petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 9 16:29:55 EST 2004

It sounds like your GPs don't love their pellets - we had the same problem here. When I used to use a "fiesta" food - alfalfa-based pellets with freeze-dried, colorful things, seeds, and more colorful things, they would just eat a few of the colorful things, their timothy hay, fresh veggies, and completely ignore their pellets, which was supposed to be the main staple. So I ended up feeding them less hay and veggies, so they would finish their pellets and not stuff their bellies with less nutritionally complete fare. This sort of worked, but then I recently switched to Oxbow pellets, which they seem to like better, and which have no seeds/nuts/colorful things in them. I'm not sure if there was ever a choking hazard, although those hard-as-rock corn kernals might have been, if they had actually been interested in them. My GPs diets are not completely boring, though - occasionally they get a seed treat or two, but only after they have eaten some of their pellets! They also get a ton of
 hay and a few veggie faves. If you can't find a good, non-seed-mixture brand of pellet that they like, just make sure they are eating enough of the pellets (the actual meal part).
Lauren, Piglet and Pooh Bear