[Gpdd] CARE smelly cage, Guinea Pig Food

Bkwrm132 at cs.com Bkwrm132 at cs.com
Tue Feb 10 10:42:10 EST 2004

Justine wrote:

>I also think it is time to learn how to bathe Honey and Lady. Can somebody
>tell me how I go about accomplishing this? What do I use? What has worked
>for you?

I bathe my boar Bedhead once a week in warmer seasons and once every three
weeks in colder seasons (we live in Illinois).  I have found having him neutered
cut down on the male scent he seemed to excrete.

When I bathe him I have everything at the ready and only bring him in at the
last minute.  He is bathed in one of my bathroom sinks in warm water that is
about waist-deep (as he stands up on his hind legs).  The basin is only about
12 inches in diameter so it's not really that big.  I always keep the doors
closed to cut down on drafts and noise and that seemed to help him remain calm
the first few times.  I hold him continuously with my left hand and use only my
right hand to do the work.  He just hangs on with his front paws and seems to
really enjoy the whole thing.

Afterwards he sits in my lap while he is hand towled dry.  He purrs and
giggles the whole time.  Then I brush him a little bit and sometimes trim his coat
at the bottom to help keep it clean between baths.

I have sensitive skin so I use the same gentle hand soap on Bedhead that I
use too.  So far, it's been fine.  Also, I never get his head/face wet.  Only
the lower half of his body.

Good luck with it.  Don't be afraid.  Just talk quietly to your piggy the
first few times.  Hope this helps!
_____________________________
Anne wrote:

>I was wondering what everyone else's opinions were on seed and nut pellet
mixtures.

Although I have had piggies for only 18 months, everything I have read (books
and internet) says no, absolutely not!  As the mother of three boys, I have
had to learn to say "no" to my sons in regard to foods/drinks that I know they
love the taste of, but are not healthy choices for them.  As the adult it is
up to me to teach them to make healthy choices.  I'm not always the most
popular in the house, but that's part of the price of being a good parent.  As the
mother/grandmother of 4 piggies, I have to play the same part and only offer
what I honestly believe to be a healthy choice.

I don't mean to sound preachy.  Hope this helps you make a decision.

Pam Hartzell
Bedhead & the Girls..Zorro, Sheila & Valerie