[Gpdd] RE: Breeding...

Michelle Melaragno doc141melaragno at adelphia.net
Mon Feb 16 20:02:14 EST 2004

	As expected, there have been several posts from folks regarding
breeding cavies.  I agree with all sentiments regarding over population
of unwanted & abandoned & reptile food destined critters.  I will only
speak from the perspective of a GP Rescue person and Humane Society
volunteer.  I've only been doing this for less than a year.  In that
time, I have taken in 33 cavies.  Most were surrendered at the Humane
Society or directly to my rescue for various reasons, 2 were left at the
end of the HS driveway on a very cold night in October...their cage
filled with about 5 inches of feces and urine.  Last year, there was a
raid on a local "breeder" that found over 300 sick and dying (lots were
already dead) GP's running loose in a basement...47 pups were actually
born on the way to the shelter.  Unfortunately, all had to be euthanized
because of the disease and conditions they were found in.  I am in
Maine, and it's pretty common knowledge that Maine is sparsely populated
and quite "behind the times" of most other states and big cities!  I've
been appalled at the number of unwanted, abandoned, abused GP's (and
other pets) that I've seen here...I can't begin to imagine what those
numbers are like in the bigger cities...I don't even want to know!
	Cavy pups are probably some of the cutest, funniest and most
precocious babies you will ever see!  If you really just want to
experience this, then my suggestion is this...go to your local humane
society to inquire about becoming a FOSTER HOME for the pregnant cavies
that are surrendered there.  This is a great time to do this because
it's inevitable that many of the "Christmas gift Guinea Pigs" arrived
into their homes already pregnant... unbeknownst to their new family!
Then you will be contributing to the health and survival of those
already unwanted pigs, instead of creating new ones who will need the
same services.  Trust me, your babies WILL end up in shelters, abandoned
& neglected, or as dinner for snakes if you sell them to pet stores.
Thanks for taking the time to read these posts...I'm sure it's not been
easy to do.

Michelle Melaragno
Whistle Ridge Guinea Pig Rescue
Auburn, ME