[Gpdd] [HEALTH] <feeding alfalfa>

Lauren Cordeiro petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 23:26:21 EST 2004

Hi Fran, Chelsea and Ginger,
Alfalfa hay is only bad in large quantities, because it is high in protein and calcium which can contribute to bladder stones. However, guinea pigs need a constant, unlimited supply of hay for their digestive systems and teeth. So I would suggest trying timothy hay, or another kind of grass hay other than alfalfa (a legume hay). The occasional alfalfa treats aren't a big deal. A lot of commercial guinea pig pellets are made from alfalfa, so I wouldn't add unlimited alfalfa hay on top of that. Timothy hay will probably be the easiest grass hay to find, but there are other types of grass hays like oat and orchard grass hay. There are a few brands out there so I'd just try a bunch of them out.
Lauren, Piglet and Pooh Bear