[Gpdd] CARE: Reply from Oxbow, RE:[CARE] Oxbow hay question (Heather Cougar)

GPDD Admin gpdd_admin at gpdd.org
Thu Feb 19 18:33:11 EST 2004

From: "Mike/Dawn Hromanik" <mh65635 at alltel.net>
To: <Gpdd at gpdd.org>
Subject: Re: Gpdd Digest, Vol 3, Issue 61
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:05:43 -0600

>    1. [CARE] Oxbow hay question (Heather Cougar)
> The only extra ingredient that I have ever heard of being in the small
bags of Oxbow hay would be the wedding ring of the company president, which
he lost shortly before Christmas while bagging Western Timothy and was
believed to have ended up in a 15 oz. bag.

> I do know that rabbit feeds (pellets, not hay, although perhaps one could
put it on hay) contain an ingredient to prevent disease which can be lethal
to pigs, which is why rabbit pellet feed should never be given to pigs. It's
likely that this may also be the case in Oxbow's line of pellet feeds. But I
have never heard anything about the hay, so far.

The hay that is in the 15 and 40 oz bags of hay are taken straight from the
bale and hand sorted, nothing is added and the same bales are used in the
larger bulk sizes of 9, 25, and 50 lb boxes. We do not add anything to the
hay, nor use any antibotics or coccidostats in our pellets.  Urban legend or
not, it's always best to go "straight to the horses mouth" so to speak.
Thank you to those who asked directly. I'm always more than willing to
answer any particular questions, may not be the fastest I read GPPD at home
and have three kids (ages 9-14) who battle me for the computer every day!
Have a good day!

Dawn Hromanik
Director of Education and Product Development
Oxbow Pet Products
www.oxbowhay.com