[Gpdd] Announcement -- New Pig Name and Hay questions

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Fri Feb 20 01:12:57 EST 2004

Hi Amelia --
      I've been enjoying the saga of your "Wilson" and the sex and name
revisions. Are there going to be little Wilsons now? It sounded like that was a
distinct possibility.  :)
       My Wilson ("The Messenger" and one of the "Three Jolly Rodents") is
pleased to have someone else discover the pleasure of that name and has enjoyed
the adventures and misadventures of your piggies. I think he's a bit envious
of Honeydew turned Wilson!
       Wilson was my first gp as most of you know -- then, a frightened and
tiny little 3 wheek old pup. I named him Wilson because he was, at that time,
my sole companion down here in the woods where I live. Of course that makes
sense only if you've seen the Tom Hanks movie...The Castaway. Since then Mr.
Cooders and Ebeneezer WoollyBear followed closely -- along with a cat! Never a
dull minute now.
       By the way, you are the person who suggested and handled the Secret
Santa Piggy exchanges, aren't you? You did a great job!

       On to a question regarding hay -- I had someone pick up some at an out
of town feedstore (where I get my hay) last week as my supply was depleted.
       This is the toughest stuff! My guys certainly aren't devouring it as
enthusiastically as their last several packages. And it isn't a fresh and
fragrant green, either. It's tough, hard -- but not moldy. Is it safe for them?
(Certainly should help handle any possibility of overgrown teeth!)
       Once before I ended up with an inferior hay from my regular source --
perhaps this is from some last cutting of the season which is what I suspect
happened the last time. Really regret not getting a full bale last fall. (I buy
it in plastic bags (kitchen trash bag sized) from a fresh bale.)
       My local feed store doesn't carry bales of hay, so somehow I have to
come up with a decent supply of hay for the little guys. Now the problem. Is it
safe to get it from a farmer or whatever at this time of the year? (Also, I
keep it inside.) Might it have less than "jolly" rodents living in it if it
comes from a barn?

       Thanks for any suggestions.

Alge