[Gpdd] Health: Boar personal problem

Dee and Joe deeclark at rcn.com
Fri Jan 2 22:20:38 EST 2004

Hi all,

I am posting this for a friend on another list.  If you can offer help
please email them at mtanaka at hawaii.edu.

Thanks, Dee

Hello everyone and everypig!  We are asking for your help with our problem.
Every day I gently clean and oil (with mineral oil) K. C.'s
penis.  But a few days ago, he began to scream when I did his normal
routine.  We noticed that it was red and swollen.  I stopped his routine for
a day but the swelling didn't go down.  We went to the vet who did a
urinalysis.  The results came back that he has an infection so we're giving
K. C. baytril twice a day for ten days.  At this time, he's had baytril for
about three days now and his penis is still swollen.  We've noticed that his
bladder tends to be full.  Our guess is that it hurts him to pee so he tries
to 'hold it' for as long as he can.  I've had UTI's before, so I know the
feeling.  Because the baytril gives him an upset tummy, we can understand it
but don't like it, but he's hardly eating.  We give him Critical Care an
hour after giving him his daytime dose of baytril and acidophilus after his
night time dose of baytril.  We've tried to entice him with all sorts of
foods and he seems to eat here and there but he's mostly inactive, which
bothers us.

Does anyone think that maybe something is 'blocking' his penis (it's swollen
right below the bone part)?  At first we thought it might be tiny stones or
even sludge, but the vet didn't feel any blockages.  He pees fine.  Whenever
we express his bladder, an ocean of pee comes out so we know he's able to
pee freely.  He does pee on his own, but he seems to 'push harder' to pee.

Any ideas on what to entice him to eat more?? or, be more active?

Any ideas and suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Corrine and Michael and K. C.