[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR: My Guinea Pigs when the light goes out

Jason Turning jturning at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jan 11 16:56:49 EST 2004

Hello all,

Follow-up observation: I've only had my little guys for about five
weeks, and the smaller, younger one always runs away when I put my hand
in the cage area until she figures out she's not going to get picked up.
So when the lights went out I wanted to check if they could actually
see, or operated with memory of the environment along with their long
whiskers as feelers. So I put my hand into the cage area and touched
them. They couldn't see my hand and didn't react until touched, so
initially it would seem they were working off environment memory as well
as using their whiskers. Their eyes would adjust along with mine
eventually, but they definitely enjoy the first moments of darkness.
Amazing that they can run around, popcorning, without any sight. I guess
the next step would be to place obstacles in normally vacant areas of
the cage floor to see what happens. Just kidding, :).

Anyone aware of any research on Cavies in the wild, available on the
web?

--
Jason Turning
E-mail: jturning at att.net