[Gpdd] HEALTH: PLANE TRAVEL

Sonjia Osborn nigelsgal2 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 11:59:54 EST 2004

We just returned from a trip from British Columbia/Canada to Alexandria, Virginia...while in BC we picked up 13 piggies to add to the clan...this is what i found out while planing this trip...Delta Airlines is the ONLY airlines that will allow you to carry your piggies on, as carry-on.  You can carry one regulation carrier ( purchased at petsmart) per person flying, you cannot have any other carry-one ( just a purse ).  if you are flying out of the country you must have your vet sign a form with all the info about your piggies and that they are in good health, and then you will need to contact the country that you are going to, to see what health regulations they require. Customs into the US was great! just have all the paperwork ready and be prepared  for a bit of a wait.   Arrive early for your flight, and be prepared to carry your piggies through the personal metal detector and let the carrier go through the luggage detector without them..  We carried our piggies through in one of
 the plastic bins that people use for their coats and laptops, worked just great.  Do pack the carrier with bedding using towels and newspaper instead of regular bedding, less mess and the security people like it better.  You can always add bedding once you are through security.  I also made elastic bottomed slip covers out of flannel to keep any chills off and the bedding in.  We packed the piggies with small water bottles (walmart), grapes, carrots, parsley and a small amount of hay, no pellets.

 takeoffs and landing were hard on them, they were very scared, but i talked to them and they seemd to understand that we were going to be alright., other than that, they slept the whole way with only a little running around,  ( i think it was the sound of the engines that made them fall asleep, like babies ).  if you have any questions, just email me...and have a great trip!  Sonjia/ McCavy Clan Caviary