[Gpdd] [CARE] <bedding>

Lauren Cordeiro petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 24 23:25:48 EST 2004

Hi Brian,
Wow New Zealand. I love the Lord of The Rings movies because of the beautiful New Zealand landscape!!! And Orlando Bloom. Anyway, about bedding..."Carefresh" or "CellSorb" isn't available there? That's too bad. Is aspen bedding available? I believe Aspen, unlike Cedar and Pine, is a hardwood and has no harmful phenols that may be bad for small animals' respiratory tracts. There is also a product called "All Pets Pine," although I'm not sure if it's available, that is a pelleted pine product that is heated to reduce  Also, do you have access to a paper shredder? Perhaps you could take plain (uncolored!) paper and run it through the shredder and use that!!! About cat litter, a lot of cat litter has chemicals in it to mask odor, that could be harmful. However, you may be able to find a cat litter without these additives, that you could use. There is a cat litter called Yesterday's News that Seagull's Guinea Pig Compendium( http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull/Guineas/home.html ) recommends.
 However, he also recommends Timothy Hay as bedding, which I have to disagree with because I would not like them pissing and pooping on something that they would also be eating! Also, stay away from corncob, which can hurt them if ingested. Hmm... I can't think of anything else right now.
Pooh Bear, Piglet and Lauren