[Gpdd] Subject: Biting

James & Margaret Lynn jimmarg.lynn at juno.com
Mon Jan 26 06:00:38 EST 2004

Yesterday I was cleaning my piggies cages and I lifted Speedy out who is
my young,  good natured, American Crested neutered male.  As I lifted him
I checked his rear end because he now having some problems with
impaction.  As I cleaned him out he yelled and hollered as usual and put
up the fuss that he always does when we go through this procedure.  I
noticed he also had a while chalky substance on his penis which is not
unusual and  wipes off easily.  When I went to this step I guess that was
the "final straw" because this sweet little good natured piggie bit me
like I have never been bitten before.  I was holding him upside down and
he reached up and bit the end of my thumb.  His bottom teeth hit my thumb
nail but his top front teeth sank into the flesh below the front of my
thumbnail and went in about as deep as possible.

I tried to pull him off but he was firmly clamped onto my thumb.  By this
time the blood was gushing out and he was still hanging on.  I finally
put my hand and thumb over his cage (Speedy still firmly attached) and
shook my hand with the guinea pig still dangling in mid air.  After about
10-15 seconds (it seemed like an hour) he finally let go and dropped a
few inches down into his cage.

The wound was very deep  and I had a lot of trouble getting the bleeding
to stop.  I debated about going to the ER to get stitches but decided to
use a butterfly bandage instead.  After thoroughly washing the wound with
hydrogen peroxide I put the butterfly bandage on this finally stopped the
bleeding.

Lesson learned:   As sweet and gentle as your piggie may be they do have
their limits.  The next time I will wrap Speedy in a towel with his head
covered before I venture to clean him again.

I was a bit miffed with him the rest of the day, but later on I held him
and he cuddled up as if to say "Sorry boss, but just don't do that
again".

Koko is still "hanging in there" and eating his yogurt every day.  He is
not any worse nor any better and still skinny as can be.  I can feel
every bone in his body.  Every morning I check to see if he is still with
me and not crossed over to the Rainbow Bridge.

Jim...........Koko, Abby, Sassy Suzy, Speedy, and Ginger