[Gpdd] Vitiman C and Mulit-Vitimans

Lauren Cordeiro Lauren_Cordeiro at student.uml.edu
Thu Jul 1 20:58:27 EDT 2004

I have yet to find a solid vit C tablet that my gpigs both like. You may be able to get Oxbow's vit. C tablets locally, check oxbowhay.com for local stores/vets that carry them.  The tablets are 50mg each, one a day. My girl likes them, but Pooh Boy won't touch it alone - so I carefully crumble it over their veggies and make sure they both get their share.

Human supplements usually have more mg, so you might have to break it up. Also, if you find a human vit C chewable, make sure it does not contain added sugars and/or other vitamins/ ingredients that are not good for gpigs, or animal-based ingredients. Also, there are hundreds of different forms of vitamin C (a common one is ascorbic acid). I do not know if all of them are able to be used by a gpig's body. (Many dog breeds can not metabolize certain forms of vitamin C). If unsure, call your vet.

Liquid supplements are not great because vit c is pretty unstable, and can be destroyed in sunlight and in the presence of chemicals like chlorine that is in a lot of tap water. Also, like you were saying, fat-soluble vitamins like vit A and D (D can be absorbed obtained via direct sunlight exposure) can build-up in the body and result in an overdose. Most of these vitamins are already supplemented in their food (although all vitamins have limited shelf-lifes), so there is no need for an additional supplement (unless they are sick or something, in which case talk to your vet about supplementation).

If you have trouble finding a vit C tablet, try ordering online (or through catalog via phone). You may be able to order directly from the manufacturer, a local vet may carry it, or through an online store. Petfooddirect.com carries it, and I have ordered from them before. (If you order from them, be sure to register on IGive.com first!!!! :)

Hope this helps.
Wheeeks,
Pooh Bear, Piglet and Lauren