[Gpdd] [HEALTH] <Vitamin C>

petunia_loo at yahoo.com petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 14:25:00 EDT 2004

I have always heard that you should give your gpigs a
vitamin C supplement daily. Exactly how much this
supplement should be depends on how much veggies you
are giving your pig and what the vit c content of them
is. Vitamin C is not a fat soluble vitamin, and excess
C will pass through the urine. However I've heard that
excess C can metabolize into oxalic acid, which might
be a concern for pigs prone to those types of stones.
If your pig has had the calcium oxalate type of
stones/sludge, than I would do more research on it and
perhaps you may cut down on the vit c. However, stones
and sludge do not usually have one definitive cause.
Diet may contribute, as well as genes and other
factors. It is my understanding that most pigs should
get at least 25mg of vit c daily, either supplemented
by fresh veggies or a supplement or a combo. I
estimate my own pigs get about 50mg daily. If you are
giving your pig a 50mg supplement, consider reducing
it in proportion to the C content of the veggies
he/she recieves daily. Vit C is a very important part
of a pig's diet.
Wheeeeks,
Lauren, Piglet and Pooh

=====
Tens of millions of healthy companion animals are euthanized each year in the U.S.

Adopt a homeless pet.
Have your pets spayed and neutered.