[Gpdd] Re: [Misc.] Cavyspirit and Pig Care

Cavykatie at aol.com Cavykatie at aol.com
Mon Jun 21 19:34:17 EDT 2004

What's wrong with pet shops? The fact that many (most?) keep their animals in
cramped, inhumane conditions and don't take care of each individual pig. They
don't notice if the dominant male piggies keep the tiny boy piggies away from
the food dish and water bottle. Many pet shops don't seperate guy pigs from
girl pigs (leading to an excessive number of pregnancies), and most seperate
babies and their mommies way to early, leaving the babies to fend for themselves
against other stronger, bigger male cavies. I made the mistake of buying my
first two cavies at a local pet store Both turned out to be pregnant. I love my
girls (and their offspring) with all my heart, but now, I definately try to
boycott pet stores. Rescue a pig from a shelter (or pound, where pigs are
scarce but are usually put down after a week like any other pound animal) and save
a life. "Opt to adopt!"

Katie & Cavies
    Lilac, Rose, Wooly Bear, & Scamper