[Gpdd] Re: Health...enlargement around nipples

James & Margaret Lynn jimmarg.lynn at juno.com
Fri Mar 12 20:19:03 EST 2004

Hi everyone,

I adopted Sassy Suzy from a shelter about three years ago.  She is very
much a loner; in fact, I think she hates other guinea pigs; thus, she
lives alone (very happily) in her own cage.

About six months she developed a hard crusty buildup of dry skin around
both nipples.  Each buildup is about 6 mm across and 4 mm high.  I took
her to the vet and he said it was not tumors but a buildup of dry skin
similar to a callous.  He said that it was more common on the noses of
Cocker Spaniels.  The vet gave me some ointment to put on twice daily but
after going though two tubes of the medicine I saw no improvement
whatsoever.

I read in Peter Gurney's book that you could use an over the counter
product called "Aloe Gel".  I have been using this on Sassy Suzy for
about three weeks but I still can see no improvement; however, the area
affected has not grown any larger.

I remember reading something about this subject on the GPDD several
months ago so if anyone could enlighten me I would appreciate it very
much.

On another note, Koko is still doing okay and enjoying his daily Yogurt.
He has stopped losing weight but hasn't gained any either.  I took him to
an exotics vet who gave him an  X-ray, blood tests, and an ultra sound.
It seems as though one kidney has shut down because of an infection.  We
ruled out surgery because he is six years old and  with his declining
health I didn't want to risk it.  He is on Baytril now and  this  seems
to have improved his alertness; he now wheeks for his daily  veggies
whereas he didn't do this before.  Also, when I touch his butt he
sputters about it which he didn't do before so I guess this is a good
sign that he is at least stabilized.

Jim........Koko, Abby, Sasy Suzy, Speedy, and Ginger