[Gpdd] [CARE] Choosing a Piggie Friend for Daphne

pat schuett pschuett at rpl.regina.sk.ca
Wed Nov 17 17:32:11 EST 2004

Hi there,

I'm a *very* new member --- like, in the last hour --- but I already have
many questions and would greatly appreciate input from you more experience
gp people.

You've probably heard this story many times.  Three weeks ago, I had never
even seriously contemplated having a guinea pig, then I went to the local
Humane Society shelter with a friend who was adopting a cat.
I already have two rabbits, so when I'm at the shelter, I usually check on
the rabbits that are there and there was a beautiful little red-gold girl
guinea pig in the rabbit room, who was just percolating with personality and
almost turning backflips to get my attention.  Of course, I had to give her
a little attention; it was only polite... I didn't take her that day, wanted
to think about it and do some research, but somehow, two days later I found
myself back out at the shelter, filling out an adoption form for that little
guinea pig.

Daphne has settled in quite well and I am completely charmed with her.  I've
been doing lots of reading about guinea pigs, but there is no substitute for
asking questions of people who live with guinea pigs and know what works and
what doesn't. So --- stand back!  Here come the questions!

It already seems to me that Daphne is a bit lonely, and I've read that
generally guinea pigs like to live with another guinea pig.  I've also read
that usually another girl would be the most likely to get along well with
Daphne.  I've resolved to take her out to meet the next girl gp that turns
up at the shelter, BUT this week the shelter got in two little boy piggies,
just a month old.  If I take her out to meet them and she likes one or both,
would that mean she would still like them when they grew up, or are they too
young to tell?  Also, I definitely don't intend to start a breeding
operation: how young can boy guinea pigs be neutered?

Those are the things I need to know about right now, but feel free to give
me your best advice for newbies, whatever that might be, too.  Is there a
rule of thumb about how much a guinea pig should eat in a day in terms of
pellets?  Daphne seems quite rotund to me, but she had been at the shelter
for over a month and I doubt she was getting much exercise (also probably
eating only pellets, whereas now she is getting some greens and veggies as
well), so she may slim down a bit with the fresh food and increase in
exercise.

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!!!!

                                                      Pat S.