[Gpdd] HEALTH - scratching update

ROYCE LARSON COTTON_COWBOYS at msn.com
Tue Nov 23 15:34:20 EST 2004

     Bud made it in to the vet on Monday - last appointment of the day. The vet gave him a thorough exam and said he appears to be the picture of health. I was in her office for close to 45 minutes and, of course, Bud never scratched at all. She said he did have dry skin and showed me the dandruff which she said is quite common this time of year for gp's, as it is for humans. We live in northern MN so it is cold and dry for sure! She recommended Relief shampoo and Relief conditioner. She said they are oatmeal based with Pramoxine HCL (whatever that is) and, although they are recommended for dogs and cats, she was very comfortable using them on gps as they are mild.
     I asked her about the possibility of fungal or yeast infections but she said she was quite sure Bud didn't have either. She did do a microscopic check for yeast at my request just for my piece of mind and it was negative. To do the check her assistant held Bud upside down and she used a piece of sticky tape to get a sample under Bud's armpit. Needless to say he didn't like that but he is so sweet and good natured that he didn't struggle at all. I was so proud of him!!!
     This morning Bud got his shampoo and conditioner treatment. First he had to be really soaped up making sure to get through to the skin. Then the shampoo had to sit on him for 10 minutes. A rinse and then conditioner treatment, also left on for 10 minutes. A final rinse and blow dry and he was all set. To keep him warm during the 10 minute treatments I put him in a small Rubbermade container with high sides lined with warmed towels. Then I had a small space heater blowing on the side of the container to keep it warm. Of course I watched very carefully that the heater wasn't too close or too hot but this worked really well. He is supposed to have this treatment every 10 to 14 days for 3 or 4 times and then every 4 to 6 weeks as needed. The vet asked me to let her know in two weeks how Bud was. You have to love a young, pregnant vet with a small child at home, along with an Irish wolfhound, a cat and two guinea pigs.
     Sorry this is so long but I had so many caring responses that I wanted to share this with them and anyone else who might have the same problem.

Carla and a very clean, fluffy Bud