[GPDD] [Health] Mocha-ninny needs your ideas ...

Brenda cannonb at adelphia.net
Fri Oct 1 10:42:07 EDT 2004

Mocha (-ninny) just turned 3 in July.  Over the past year she has lost
nearly 1/3 her body weight (from 2.75 lbs to about 2 lbs), most of it
between Nov and June. She has occasionally sounded like she had problems
breathing but then would 'hack' and be fine. She is more apt to breath hard
if her cage is the least bit 'smelly' so we've been able to keep that under
control by rigorous cleaning. She eats nearly everything we put in front of
her, but in small quantities - returning often until it is finished (timothy
pellets, alfalfa pellets, timothy hay, dandelions leaves and blossoms, baby
lettuce, melon, carrots, apples, bananas, grass).

She has been to three vets.  The first said she was fine (but he wasn't
familiar with her at all).  The second was very concerned, and gave her a
shot of vitamin C but could find nothing obviously wrong with her breathing
(the initial complaint) so recommended a 10 day course of antibiotics and
follow-up. At the follow-up, the vet found a small lump under her chin but
no other symptoms and Mocha had gained 10 mg. We priced out the surgery and
lab work for the lump, diagnostic lung & throat x-rays, blood tests for
diabetes, and full teeth check then agreed to wait another week and watch
the lump religiously as well as being augmenting her diet with Critical
Care. When it increased in size, we scheduled the 'surgery' the next day and
got the third vet (the second and third vets are partners as well as
married. The third vet is Dr Francois and has seen Mocha many times since
she came to us). He aspirated the lump - it was an infected lymph node. He
checked her teeth (even the back ones) and her mouth and found no sores or
problems that would interfere with eating or digesting.  The blood test was
negative for diabetes.  The x-ray found no problems with her jaw, neck or
lungs but he did say that her heart 'might' be 'slightly enlarged but not
enough for him to be sure of any issue.

Its been several weeks now and her weight fluctuates. It has gone as low as
1.75 lbs and as high as 2.1 lbs but that is all.  Any ideas as to what else
we should try?  I'm thinking we should have a check for parasites (even
though there are no outward symptoms that I have found) but don't know what
else to try.  She is lively, seems happy, her coat is healthy, her eyes are
bright and she teases whenever she isn't sleeping. She and Chuckbert no
longer share an area but are side-by-side to give her some relief from his
'attentions' (much to his dismay).

At a loss but wanting to help,
Brenda, slave to Mocha the princess & Chuckbert the king