[Gpdd] Re: Announement: Update on George the guinea pig

Off1Knight at aol.com Off1Knight at aol.com
Wed Sep 8 15:52:06 EDT 2004

I know some of the readers have wondered how George the guinea pig is doing.
So I thought I would give you all an update on his condition> I wish I could
say he is doing fantastic but unfortunately it has not been the case. Early on
the holiday weekend he began breathing harder and was not eating with the vim
and vigor he has for so long. In not too much time I saw his chewing was
synchronized with his breathing and he was having considerable difficulty
breathing. This was Friday night and his vet, Dr. Danci Mock of the West Caldwell
Animal hospital would not be in until Saturday morning. We tried to get some
critical care into him but he wouldn't even chew that. His mom made an appointment
for the following morning EARLY and to be quite honest he looked so bad I
doubted he would make it through the night. But God was kind and allowed him that
and he was brought to HIS vet and it was learned that he was filling up with
water and that was giving him a great deal of difficulty breathing. This was
determined by an X-ray. So he was given LASIX for the problem, then an antibiotic
and Dr. Mock actually drained some of the fluid from between his chest cavity
and his little lungs and placed him in an oxygen environment. She then
recommended transferring him to an emergency animal hospital approximately a mile
away since THAT hospital has 24 hour monitoring and there was an excellent
exotic Vet. there, Dr. Shelba, who is actually a friend of Dr. Mocks. George needed
that monitoring as well as an oxygen environment for several days to help him
breath easy. This was done and within a day he was breathing MUCH better and
was eating like there was no tomorrow. I will say this, he has lost weight but
he was eating and doing very well. The antibiotic and the LASIX was continued
for the weekend until Tuesday when his mom picked him up and brought him back
to Dr. Mock. He spent a day there in her care as well as receiving his
medications and weaning him off the oxygen. KNOWING that he will need oxygen again,
and KNOWING it will probably be when there is not a vet available, with the
help of Dr. Mock, I have constructed an oxygen chamber for the "boy" the basis
of which is a 10 gallon aquarium and several other easy to come by items. With
her help, a large oxygen tank was obtained and set up to feet the chamber for
at least 24 hours should he have trouble again. We are also administering the
LASIX and the antibiotic to George day three times a day.  So he is holding
his own at the moment and we are hoping and praying he continues to do so. He is
a very special piggy just as each one of yours is and I am sure if you look
back on all of yours, you will find they have enriched your life in so very
many ways. should we abandon them when they need us MOST...I think not...in fact
they deserve all we have to help them because they are not pets, they are our
friends..they are our family and MOST of all they are part of our hearts. Your
prayers are appreciated for the little guy, who's proving he is one tuff guy.
I am trying to put together the instructions to build this oxygen chamber for
any of those that might feel it would help them. I'm sorry I have gone on but
it took some time to explain what's happening with George...the guinea pig.

Sincerely,

Joseph C. Petrillo, George the guinea pigs daddy