[Gpdd] HEALTH - re: piggy in pain

Andrew a.mills at portset.net
Sat Apr 2 12:54:01 EST 2005

I can't say for sure what was going on with your guinea pig, but I'm wondering if he was impacted.  This happens in males, particularly when they get older.  They are unable to pass their soft poops which consequently become impacted.  The symptoms you described sound very similar to what happened to our first guinea pig, Bugsy.  He would be acting perfectly normally and then would suddenly start running around and squeaking.  Then he would produce an extremely stinky pooh and then return to normal.  Not knowing much at the time, we weren't sure what was going on until the vet told us what was wrong with him.  At 4 years old, it is possible that this is the problem with your boy.  If he is becoming impacted, you will unfortunately have to help him with it.  Peter Gurney recommends that you hold the guinea pig over the toilet and gently squeeze out the impaction each day.  This is rather a smelly process but needs to be done to make the guinea pig more comfortable.  However, !
if you can put up with the pong, it might be better to put the squeezed out poops back into the guinea pig's cage.  Under normal circumstances these soft poops are eaten so, if put back in the cage, this gives the guinea pig chance to recycle them.  I know this sounds a bit revolting but they would normally do it without you even realising it.  However, because of the problem that they have, it is impossible for these impacted males to pass them so you need to help them and I feel they should be given the opportunity to recycle them if at all possible.  Just hold your nose for a moment after you've squeezed them out!