[Gpdd] Re: DIET: Kaytee Products

BunsnPigs at aol.com BunsnPigs at aol.com
Tue Apr 5 14:05:57 EDT 2005

Well, if you only have one guinea pig, the cost of switching to Oxbow can't
be that bad, can it? I don't really know as I do get a rescue discount on
everything. But I still spend a fortune. I have 30+ rabbits and guinea pigs in
my rescue, and they all eat Oxbow hay, pellets, and use Carefresh.  I have
tried everything else and always go back. I used to love their second cut
timothy but we can't get that anymore. That stuff was awesome.

People donate Kaytee to me a lot. Frankly, I take it to the shelters  because
it just doesn't compare to the Oxbow. There are some people who  have local
hay they sell, and that stuff is nice, too, but I can't the kind of  discount I
get from using a local distributor.

Oxbow spends a lot of money on research and development, and I see the
difference in the animals I get once they have been on it for a month. They also
do get fresh organic vegetables every day, too, and who knows what their diets
have been like, but even the vets I work with say the same thing.

That is my 2 cents. I'm blunt about my feelings on them and have been a  huge
proponent of their products for many years. I have been around a while now
and was one of the first to use Oxbow Cavy Cuisine. GREAT stuff. Its
timothy-based. I switched to others many times to try their products out.. but  its
hard to measure up to their pellets, I think. I worked hard to get the word  out
on their products and used to purchase it directly from them at no discount
and have all my adopters use it, too. Luckily, its available locally so people
don't have to mail order. Still, its got to be worth the price if you only
have  1 or two pigs. Order the 9 pound hay rather than the small bags. And I can
not  say enough about their Critical Care. Its an incredible invention for
using on  sick or old piggies.

Judi  Lainer
Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue
Round Hill, VA