[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR] Nipping...what to do?? (and an intro!)

Angela Allen angela at lunaclick.net
Sun Apr 10 23:13:53 EDT 2005

Hello, everyone...

I'm new to the mailing list!  I'm proud "mama" to Isis...she's an -- I think
I'm getting this right! -- American satin, with agouti(?) and white
coloring, plus a little ginger on her belly and one leg.  We figure she was
born around Christmas, so she's nearly 4 months old now.  You can see
adorable pics of her here:
http://albums.lunaclick.net/ka-cc-isis

She's our first guinea pig, although I've had lots of experience with other
animals.  I've learned a lot about their special needs and their
characteristics, with a little help from our vet, so she's a happy, active
piggy.  She has a huge cage with loads of fun things to climb on, jump into,
and hide underneath.  We bought her one of those suspended play tunnels, and
she had herself a little popcorn party when she discovered it, LOL.

She's our sassy little girl, and she's always given us a little harmless
nibble now and then to let us know when she wasn't pleased or when we
weren't understanding what she was trying to tell us (mostly, that she has
to go potty when we're holding her...I've read that some piggies nip to
communicate, and she's always been really quiet, vocally).

Lately, though, she's taken to really nipping hard.  She actually drew blood
for the first time on my fingertip last week, and it's gone downhill from
there!  She hasn't broken the skin again, but she's fearlessly biting us
whenever she feels like it.

I've tapped her lightly on the nose after she's done it a few times -- not
enough to cause her any pain, just enough to startle her -- but I really
hate doing that.  I feel like I'm making her afraid of being held, and I've
noticed her becoming skittish when our hands are in her cage or when we walk
into the room.  She had gotten so good at being around us and unafraid after
we brought her home, and I feel like we've taken a HUGE step backward.

I'm at my wits' end, basically.  Is there any way I can reprimand her, and
hopefully break her of this nasty habit, without making her afraid of me?
Is nose-tapping (or anything else!) the way to go, or is this nipping just a
behavior I'm going to have to live with?

I'm beginning to think she's going through her rebellious "teen" years -- or
the piggy equivalent, anyway!

I really appreciate any help you guys can give me!

~ Angela