[Gpdd] MISC: Silly story

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 13:36:57 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I thought I would share a story about Wesley. He is one of my itchy pigs and the other day, Wesley and Zippy got an oatmeal bath with tea tree oil shampoo/conditioner plus an oil treatment (and they are quite a bit less red and flaky!). Wesley is not a brave pig and even when I pick him up he lets out this loud wheeeeeeeep every single time. Then he curls up in my neck and makes happy pig-pig noises.

Well during the bath, he was in constant popcorn mode and everytime he jumped he shook so I was soaked! He does not much enjoy bathtime, although Zippy loves to swim. Anyway, Wesley was holding a grudge against me so the next day he was hiding from me. He has this grass house which he has given a "sun roof" by chewing out the grass on the top so basically it is a house with no roof at all. Well I walked into the room and he dashed into the house and was hiding. I stood in front of his cage and he kept peeking out the door to see if I was still there and snuck his head right back in. As if I can't see the silly bugger through the roof of his house!

So I touched him through the roof of his house (because I just found this too irresistible to pass up) and he got very mad at me and and stormed off into his other house. Well now he refuses to go into his old, wornout grass house.

It is just so funny that he thought he was invisible... So there is my funny Wesley story, I just had to share it.

Back along the itchy pigs theme... Zippy and Wesley have been itchy for a long time and went to the vet and they don't have parasites or fungus or anything they can find. I have tried prescription topicals, there is no fatty acid supplement for pigs although I have looked and looked. So anyway, I am in the process of making a "cookie" that is going to be high in vitamin E. My first try was not good, but my second try was better. Once I have it figured out and get the taste test from my GPs I will let you know because I know there are people with itchy piggies. This last bath seemed to help, but we will see...

On the sugar topic... Not all sugar is bad just refined sugar (so unfortunately that still means no on the jellybeans). Honey and molasses are acceptable forms in moderation plus fruits obviously. There is a good wholesome "cookie" out there that my pigs go bonkers for! Technically it is a horse cookie but it is not processed and the ingredients are molasses and oats and corn and wheat and other grains. The ones I get at the feed store are made locally but I think there are some called Winnie's cookies that are the same thing. They don't get these every day, mind you, but they are a treat and a "complex carbohydrate."

Anyway, I will update you on my fatty-acid-rich cookie recipe for those with itchy pigs.

I also love Isis' picture with her legs sprawled out!

Be well!
Lisa and the gang at Wheeks and Squeaks

Wheeks and Squeaks Rodent Rescue
www.wheeksandsqueaks.petfinder.com
Finding permanent, loving homes for guinea pigs and degus