[Gpdd] [Misc] Pigs to School

shim1990 at adelphia.net shim1990 at adelphia.net
Wed Feb 16 19:11:17 EST 2005

Lisa~  You'll have fun talking to the kids about guinea pigs!  When I worked as a kindergarten aide, I did a "birthday party" for the class pig (who always came home with me, and introduced me to the WONDERFUL world of Guinea Pigs!)
While your kids will be slightly younger, you can try some of the things we did to make Britney's party a fun learning experience.  First, we talked about the differences/similarities between pigs and cats/dogs.  We also talked about the differences/similarities between guinea pigs and mice/hamsters/gerbils.  We went over basic (real basic) care. The kids did coloring pages, then finished up by decorating a twinkie to look like a guinea pig...frosting for the fur, fruit roll up ears,
chocolate chip eyes.  Yum!    You'll be lucky to hold the kids attention for 15 - 20 minutes, so just hit the major points and let them ask questions!  I work with middle school special needs kids now, and find that they like to see/ hear about baby pigs.  Your kids may like to see some pictures of babies/ different breeds that you could get online.  Hope I've helped a little!  Have fun!
          Judi, Porky, Petunia, and Corkster
Remembering always Corky and Gaylord...sending love to Britney