[Gpdd] Misc. Piggies go to school

rachel russell picasso.massed at verizon.net
Thu Feb 17 14:53:52 EST 2005

Dear everyone who is addicted to these darling animals,

I am a 5th grade teacher and will have my students through 6th grade.  I have
22 people students and 2 guinea pig students.  My piggies, Roxie and Phera go
back and forth with me to school every day.  They are as much a part of the
class as the students are.  I kept them at home one day because I had to go
somewhere after school and I got so much grief from my students!! They go in a
carrier with a heated pad. I live in the Boston area so our winters are pretty
cold. Roxie protests every time I put her in the cage but Phera runs in.
They have helped my shy students speak up and my behavior problem students
calm down.  My one student who claimed to be allergic to them the first week of
school is now not (Go figure).  Their names are ones my students chose from
books they read. Roxie is a character in Sabrina the Teen Age Witch (I did not
pick the books) and Phera is short for Saphera who is in a book called Eragon.
Roxie and Phera go home to floor time every day.  They need to run around after
being in the cage.  The noise of the students helped them not be too shy.
Roxie, who tends to hide,  hangs out with the kids when they are having snack.
They really are great animals,
love,
Rachel Slave