[Gpdd] Misc: bleeding nails and ivermectin

Lydia Boland lydiagboland at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 26 01:31:01 EST 2005

--- Dawnda Stricklen <dawndastricklen at yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Hi Lydia
>
> I used cornstarch to stop bleeding in nails before I
> got the septic powder.

I have corn starch in the cubbard.  Thanks for the
tip!

> Most of my pigs have started scratching in the last
> week. I checked them out and I know it's mites. They
> have had fungal problems before, but never mites.
> The
> new pigs have had mites, but never after I have had
> them. I have had a couple of sick ones lately. The
> mites must have took over then. Then they passed
> them
> on.
> I like you don't like to expensive shots and 3 trips
> to the vet per pig. It's stressful, it hurts, and
> it's
> a 3 hour drive for me each trip. I have nine guinea
> pigs and that would be very expensive treatment.
>
> I was talking to a guinea pig rescue person and she
> uses ivermectin horse wormer orally for her big
> herds.
>
> She said to take a Q-tip and cut the ball off. Then
> put a small amount on the end of the Q-tip stick and
> give it to them orally once a week. Keep giving once
> week until 2 weeks after there are no signs of
> mites.
> She has been using it for years.
> I ordered a tube on the internet, but you can get
> them
> in most feed and grain stores. I was too sick to go
> out looking for the ivermectin.
> My tube should come tomorrow and I'll try it out.
> I'll
> let you know how it goes.

Defintiely let us know how it goes.  Rescuers always
know great ways to treat.  I think I used .02 cc mixed
in with the apple juice.  It was suck a tiny amount.
If anyone is in the Los Angeles area I would be happy
to give you some Ivermectin.  I have so much of it.
It expires soon.  I've been told by many sources that
most medicines (except aspirin) is good for 18 months
after expiration.  It just loses 15% of its potency
over that time.

Lydia