[Gpdd] MIDC. - Horses and Guinea Pigs

ROYCE LARSON COTTON_COWBOYS at msn.com
Sun Jan 16 14:04:15 EST 2005

     Sorry I can't remember who, but recently someone wrote that one of their guinea pigs would make lots of noise when separated from her friend! This is so like horses!!! When our horses are separated the one left at home (or at the trailer) whinnies and paces restlessly and looks for his friend until the missing horse returns. Usually the horse ridden away is fine (I guess because he's busy and with his rider). It's really embarrassing when you're on the road!! This is at its worst in the spring when they have been together 24/7 all winter. By the end of the summer they have gotten somewhat used to being separated. Then winter comes and you start all over again.
     I'm guessing what works for horses would work for gps. You just have to separate them a lot and often (even for short times like a minute at a time) so they finally realize that they aren't going to die when separated and the missing friend WILL return. You have to remember that when you separate the piggies, they don't know that you will return the missing friend. They think this is the end! By doing it often for short times, you can teach them that their friend always returns. In a half an hour you can take away and return their friend 20-30 times plus it gives the gps practice being caught so they get more used to that. A month of that would improve the situation, I'm sure. Let me know if you try it.

Carla and Bud