[Gpdd] CARE: New Owner

Cinnabunz67 at aol.com Cinnabunz67 at aol.com
Fri Jan 21 08:47:26 EST 2005

    Hello everyone, I'm new to this list, as well as a new guinea pig owner.
I was thrilled to find this source of information! Last week I was given 2
guinea pigs, both about 5 months old. I've been searching online for information
on their care, but much of what I've found is conflicting. I was hoping I
could get some reliable information here from other owners, on things such as
which fruits and veggies are safe for them, what ratio of fresh food to pellets do
they need, etc. If anyone has a link to a site with good information, that
would be wonderful.
    Also, I've read that these are very social creatures and need at least an
hour of human contact a day. My question is....when my children take the
guinea pigs out to play with them on the floor, and leave the cage door open, the
pigs are back at the cage and crawling in at the first chance they get. They
have never bitten, and the kids are being gentle....is this a sign that they
want to be left alone?
    Thanks in advance, I need all the advice I can get!
                                                    Cindy, new owner to
                                                    Butterscotch and Fudge