[Gpdd] Misc-Re:Introduction of new piggies

Dawnda Stricklen dawndastricklen at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 28 17:19:17 EST 2005

Hello Elaine

You should always quarantine your new pig for 3 weeks
to make sure she doesn't have anything contagious.
Then you can introduce them slowly outside of the
cages on neutral territory. You can give them their
veggies together outside of the cage and let them eat
together for a while. You can watch them during the
exercise time together to see how they react together.

If you just put the new one in the cage, the existing
pig will see her as an intruder. There are never any
guarantees when trying to put two together. Sometimes
the personalities just clash. You just have to have
patience and introduce them slowly. Use two food bowls
and two water bottles. They will have to establish the
Alpha pig which is usually the pig you bought first.

It is best to put them together when you will be home
to watch them all day. We'll keep our fingers crossed
for you.

Dawnda

=====
http://embark.to/guineapighaven

The shortest distance between a problem and a solution
is the distance between your knees and the floor.

protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

=====