[Gpdd] (Misc) Apology

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 28 19:00:50 EST 2005

I would like to issue an apology to the readers of the
digest regarding my post about the Colorado rescue
piggies. In no way did I mean to offend anyone and
when I wrote it, I did not take into account that
there are breeders who subscribe to the GPDD. I just
took it as a given that anyone who reads and posts to
the digest obviously cares about pigs, be they
breeders or not. My concern is and was about people
who run animal "mills"--who unscrupulously pump out
guineas or puppies or whatever, with no regard for the
health and quality of their animals and every regard
for the almighty dollar. I know there are many
reputable breeders out there, and I know they do it
for the love of the animals and they treat their
piggies like family.

When I wrote my post, I guess I was having a flashback
to about 10 years ago when I was in a petstore and a
man carried in a box of about 30 sunstroked baby
guinea pigs. He had driven 45 minutes in the hot
Florida sun with these babies in a box in the back of
a truck with no air conditioning and no food or water.
The babies were also (in retrospect, now that I know
more about guineas) way too young to have been
separated from their mothers. My boyfriend and I
helped cool some of them down, but watched helplessly
as over half the babies died gasping for breath and
having seizures. Then he went to the manager and asked
him to hurry with the money because he had puppies
that he was delivering to another store. At the time,
I didn't do anything about the incident because I
didn't think that I, as a customer, could do anything.
I didn't realize that by doing nothing, I was
supporting people like this man. Sometimes I think
about that, and kick myself for standing there like a
dummy. I weep for all the other little animals this
man, and people like him kill through their unethical,
inhumane practices.

Again, I apologize to all the legitimate breeders whom
I may have offended. Next time I will think before I
post, and not make broad generalizations about things.

-Stacy (humbled) and the Squee Squad