[Gpdd] [HEALTH]: Ratso not eating/drinking

Dr Kay Dudman kdudman at lgu.ac.uk
Sun Jul 17 18:25:28 EDT 2005

Hi Vanessa

I recommend the following to help Ratso until you can get him to the vet.

Sometimes water on its own isn't enough to rehydrte, so you might need to
use some rehydration salts (as sold by chemists for humans), or something
in the UK we have called Bio Lapis which also has probiotic and vitamins;
it's made by ProTexin, you might be able to get some on the web.

Other things you can give Ratso are:

* a mash made from the pellets in his dry mix (the ones like little logs
in a mixed dry food), or if it all looks the same because the pellets
are a combined food, mix them with a little warm, but not hot, water;
Ratso might be willing to take this from a spoon, or you might need to
make it a little more moist to give it to him in a syringe (chop part of
the nozzle off the end of the syringe to stop it from clogging up).

* put Ratso's salad food through the juiver and offer it to him in a
syringe

* mix up some dry baby food (vegetarian flavours only) such as banana with
a little water into a paste that he can either take from a spoon or in a
syringe.

* make up some pearl barley water (see Peter Gurney's web pages for
details) as this can be soothing if there is a UTI.  It's worth
checking Peter Gurney's web pages for all sorts of advice.

* feel his tummy - does it feel at all tight?  If you tap your index
finger against his tummy does it sound hollow?  If so, he could have some
wind which would be uncomfortable for him.  You could give him Simethicone
(sold in baby colic treatments, e.g. Infacol in the UK).

* You could also try a gentle tummy massage (this will help stimulate the
gut).  Hold Ratso on your lap with his bottom towards your tummy and him
facing the same way that you are.  Lift up his top half with your left
hand, so that his back is against your tummy, then start with your right
hand at the top of his ribs, and then very gently move your right hand to
his left side, down towards the base of his tummy, up to the right side,
then back to the top.  Repeat this in a series of single smooth actions.
When I do this to one of my piggies I lean forward so my face is next to
his/hers and sing quietly to them while I rub.  [They seem to like
Chattanooga Choo Choo, but obviously we change the "ham & eggs" bit to
something they like to eat!].  If there is any wind this should help get
it moving, and also encourage the gut to produce any faecal pellets.  If
nothing else, it should be pleasant for Ratso and comforting for him.

Oh, one other thing you might want to check (and your vet has probably
done this already), but make sure he hasn't got a little dried waxy plug
in his penis.  If you can see something yellowish looking a bit like a
little splinter in this sensitive area you should slowly and gently remove
it, as that could also be making him feel a bit sore.

Also get your vet to check his teeth, in case the lack of eating is
because of tooth overgrowth/spurs/spikes, and not connected to the urine
problem.

Get well soon, little Ratso,
best wishes

Kay