[Gpdd] Care: A vet for Adam

Hanson David dlhanso1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 6 19:26:41 EDT 2005

This is our first post here on GPDD. First off we would like to thank everyone that has spent their time and effort in trying to help us find a vet for Adam and the rest of our piggies also.
I think we may have over reacted a bit with our first post on the BP Society Yahoo group.
 When we got home from out origonal vet after he had trimmed Adams teeth we gave him a piece of lettuce and we noticed we couldn't take a bite out of it. We then gave him a baby carrot and he couldn't do anything with that either.

In the past couple of months we lost two special piggies Lila and Samson. Lila was with child and was having complications so we took her to the only vet around that looks at exotics. He said he knows guinea pigs. This was on a Thursday. We went to the vet on Friday and brought Lila some fresh hay bell pepper and carrots. she was sure happy to see the veggies and hay.
We weren't able to see Lila overthe weekend. We called firstthing Monday morning and found out she had passed away .  We won't be doing that with one of our family again. They go home with us .

Samson went in to be neutered about 2 weeks later and he didn't make it.

So when Adam couldn't eat all we could think of was incompetent vet. Thats why we were looking for a new vet. We found one that has limited experience with guinea pigs. He took a look at Adams teeth and told us that other than a little chip they looked okay. He thinks the problem is the molars are to long so the incisers don't meet..

We've been going through the hay bin collecting the flowers at the end of the stems to feed adam, he can grab those with his front teeth ok. He should be okay once he wears down those molars a bit.

We would like to everyone for your concern for Adam. He is a very special guy, he was our first guinea pig and we hope to have him around for a long time.

Dave & Jamie