[Gpdd] Health--water bottle cleaning

Debbieganley debg43 at ij.net
Sat Jun 18 01:27:47 EDT 2005

I read in Dale Selig's book "The Grown-up Guide to GP's" about cleaning water bottles with hydrogen peroxide.  I've been using that method for over a year & had great success.  I soak the bottles (& also the bricks--I read where someone had a hard time cleaning them) in antibacterial Dawn for awhile, while I'm cleaning the rest of the houses with vinegar & water in a spray bottle--then I put some peroxide in the bottle with the Dawn solution, shake it up, clean it with a brush (www.bunnybytes.com has a great brush) & then rinse it thoroughly (twice with hot water, twice with cold water.)  I pour peroxide in the sippers, clean them all around with a Q-tip dipped in peroxide & rinse well.  It's embarrassing what junk comes out of the sippers!  I'm really not a total nut, I just do this once a week when the houses get totally cleaned--but it works, & peroxide is very cheap.

As far as the bricks go, pour some peroxide full-strength on them & rinse well--it'll foam up when you first pour it on which means it's cleaning the brick, & then rinse it good.  It won't affect the brick at all, just clean it nicely!   Deb, Potter, Molly & Emma