[Gpdd] [CARE] problems with teeth: Adam and Snowball

Dr Kay Dudman kdudman at lgu.ac.uk
Sun Jun 19 11:08:36 EDT 2005

So sorry to hear that Snowball has teeth problems as well as Adam.  The
molars can be a problem if they overgrow; the piggies cannot eat properly
and will therefore lose weight and condition - sometimes the teeth can
cut into the tongue or cheek, and be painful for the piggy.  Worse still,
they can grow down into the jawbone.  Once a piggy has to have their teeth
trimmed, it will be an ongoing treatment, not a once done and that's it.
Could be needed every 10 weeks or so.  Metacam can help with any problems
that cause discomfort in the jaw, etc.

The teeth can grow very quickly (in a week) so getting early treatment is
important.  If the piggy canot eat, it is important to give help such as
Oxbow Critical Care, or Pascoe's Guinea Pig Goodness pellets dissolved and
syringe feed this mixture.  A piggy who doesn't eat can get liver damage,
so it is important to get food in to keep everything working.  Bio Lapis
can also help as it has a prebiotic (as does the GP Goodness) as well as
vitamins and minerals.

Only give a small amount by syringe at a time (say 0.5 ml) so piggy can
cope with a mouthful at a time, and it doesn't go down the "wrong way" or
all at once.  Cut the end off the syringe if necessary so that the fibres
don't get stuck nd cause temporary blockages and spurts when trying to feed.

Cutting up normal salad food into bite-sized chunks can help, or putting
the salad into the liquidizer/juicer and offering this by syringe...
familiar tastes and smells, as well as nourishment.

It is so important to have fresh hay available all the time so that the
teeth have something to work on.  Maybe you all know this already, but I
was so worried to hear about Adam and Snowball, I wanted to help as much
as I could.   I lost my own dear little Adam pig only a couple of weeks
ago (not from teeth problems).

Wishing all piggies well, hoping Adam and Snowball are doing OK and please
let us know their progress

Kay