[Gpdd] [health] Metacam, Asprin and painkillers

S Mogensen write2turbo at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 21 02:49:38 EDT 2005

Hello all
I have not tried aspirin as painkiller for g-pigs, could someone please give
me the info about what dosage they should have again?
One of my texels, Daisy, had an eye injury about 6 months ago, and I gave
her metacam (in correct dosage), while I treated with a prescribed eye
ointment. She started to bleed from the intestine at day two and I called
the Vet at once to hear what was causing that, she was on baytril also so I
did not know if it was that.
The Vet told me that that was a side effect seen with metacam once in a
while, and I should stop giving it to her or she could die. Which means that
she had to be in pain until it was healed
 But the bleeding stopped almost
at once and she is fine now.
I would like to prevent this if she ever gets an injury again.
None of my other pigs, which have tried metacam, has had that side effect
though.
Does anyone know about the side effects with aspirin, when given in correct
dosages of course?
/Susan