[Gpdd] Misc: Abuse on Animal Planet

Jennifer Langer fairydancer at loveable.com
Fri Mar 11 00:01:29 EST 2005

For all those who want to contact Animal Planet about the little girls abusing the guinea pigs, my husband found this information. You can contact Discovery Channel, owner of Animal Planet, online at http://extweb.discovery.com/viewerrelations . Their physical address is: Discovery Channel INC, 6505 Blue Lagoon Dr Ste 190, Miami FL 33126. Their phone numbers are: (786)242-4194, (800)938-0333, and fax(859)342-0633.

We were so angry that we are contacting them online and mailing a letter. I feel so badly for those poor Piggies. Where is the parental supervision? GRR! This is what we sent them:
	"This is regarding your airing of episode # 312 of Animal Planet’s Pet Star on Feb 14th, 2005. The deplorable way in which you allowed two guinea pigs to be abused for televised enjoyment is reprehensible. This action, by a network that is supposed to give practical,  non-harmful advice to pet owners, is morally bankrupt. The forceful nature of rubbing little guinea pigs' hair in the wrong direction is equivalent to yanking a dogs tail to make it yelp or stepping on a cat to make it yowl. How dare you televise such blatant abuse for the entertainment of thousands. You should be ashamed of yourselves. The audience and judges are not to blame. The fault is that of the program's administrators and content editors.
	Are there no pet experts on the team to identify when animals are being abused?  Many non-owners of cavies are not familiar with  their communicative sounds. After again viewing the clip posted on your website; it is clear that the guinea pigs were in distress and pain; identified by their screams and flattened ears. Their eyes were also bulging noticeably which is another sign of extreme duress. They were scared and upset. Would you have other pets and animals beaten for our amusement as well? It sickens me.
	I demand an apology; written, and preferably televised, to counteract any mayhem this may have caused in Guinea Pig owning households. Next time, have an expert or exotic veterinarian review your content before televising it.  I will not watch Animal Planet again and will refer all inquiries about it to other sources of information as your channel is incapable of providing proper care and treatment information. Furthermore, I will not purchase anything from your website or stores and will give no positive feedback regarding your businesses."

Jennifer and Adam, and PB, Bob Bob, and Boar-is
"To find a beautiful thing, look with an open mind and heart."