[Gpdd] Misc: pet store

sherry bevins ssbjune9 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 17 19:36:50 EST 2005

Hi Jaime,

I am ashamed to admit this, but it didn't occur to me to contact the ASPCA
at the time. I've talked to the different veterinarians that I've taken my
pigs to about the situation and they told me that that the piggies were bred
in large numbers and shipped out to pet stores and that it was all treated
as business. I do feel that if a store is going to sell animals there should
be veterinary assistance for the ones that become sick. I would think that
this would be a way of protecting their investment, if one must look at it
from a business point of view. This was a large pet store chain where I
bought Curly. I am reluctant to name names. The cages were clean and the
animals had food and water, but some of the shipments that came in had some
sick piggies in it, and I don't think that the staff was knowlegable enough
about guinea pigs to realize it. I used to go in there alot, but every time
I saw a sick piggie I wanted to take it home. My husband finally put his
foot down and said "no more!" I asked once where they got their piggies from
and they told me, but I can't remember the company name, only that it is out
of state.

Best wishes,

Sherry and piggie friends