[Gpdd] [CARE] Bladder Stones (Peter Gurney)

Shelly Atkinson satkinson at rkci.com
Thu Mar 31 10:00:47 EST 2005

I wanted to go back to Peter Gurney's site and see what he said about
bladder stones and I am more confused than ever. Too much calcium and
too little will both cause bladder stones.

The only sure way to prevent the stones reoccurring is to get the stone
that was removed analysed to find out the main substance it is made of.
If it appears that it got there via the diet, then a change in diet may
help. However there is a theory that the calcium oxalate ones, and these
are what most of those found in guinea pigs are formed of, could
actually be caused by a lack of calcium in the diet!. The theory goes
that calcium is needed in the filtering process of the kidneys and if
there is not enough in the diet it will come from the bones.
What I am trying to say is that preventing reoccurrence of stones is not
an easy matter for there are so many factors to be considered, and what
will work on one animal will prove negative on another.
All in all I prefer to stick to the herbal methods. I choose them
because most anti-lithic herbs are also diuretics and as keeping up a
good flow of urine is also helpful in dealing with this problem which
makes them a kind of double wammy!. Hydrangea, cornsilk, gravel root and
parsley piert in varying combinations can prove effective. I do not have
a set formula, because there simply isn't one, such is the variation
between individual cases. However, the two herbs I always use in equal
amounts are cornsilk and hydrangea.

Shelly Atkinson