[Gpdd] Health: Bloat

Lyndsay Hunter lyndsayhunter1 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 20:25:42 EST 2005

Hi everyone,
Sorry, I sent that last post without putting my name on it...

My husband got home from work today and noticed our little Lucy wasn't eating.  This was definietly a problem...Lucy is our biggest eater.  He took her to the vet right away.  Lucky for us the vet was in today. (He's usually only there two days a week for two hours at a time.)  He said she had bloat and he pumped her stomach. She now has three drugs she has to take (two are injectable).  He said that she would have been dead by tomorrow if she hadn't been brought in.  Even still, he said she only has a 30-40% chance of making it through the next few days.  He suggested laying off the pellets and feeding just hay and fresh veggies.  We will be watching closely.  She will probably have to come to work with us tomorrow. I know I've read about sick piggies who get better initially and then take a turn for the worst.  I feel confident that we can recognize the obvious signs of sickness, but if anyone who has dealt with bloat before can offer some advice or can tell us some other subtle
 signs, we would welcome it.
Thanks...cross your fingers for our Lucy-girl.

Lyndsay, Mike, Molly, Emily, Stella, Hannah, Guinness and Lucy