[Gpdd] CARE - shredded paper for dinner

ROYCE LARSON cotton_cowboys at msn.com
Tue May 3 15:19:00 EDT 2005

Jaimie and Albert,

     Before I started using shredded paper for Bud, when the vet first suggested it, I had the same concern. I thought Bud would really munch on it. The vet assured me that it wouldn't hurt him and he'd soon tire of it. At first it was a novelty and Bud did munch some. I know you keep hay for Albert all the time and, after the novelty wears off, paper becomes commonplace and the real food is much more interesting. I almost NEVER see Bud chew on newspaper any more and, as a matter of fact, now he doesn't even chew on cardboard any more.
     The only down side I've had, and this is funny, is that I can't put open paper bags in Bud's play area because paper is always associated with going to the bathroom! If I put a bag in he will use the inside of it instead of his litter box.

     My niece has a piggy and I finally talked her into giving up shavings and trying shredded paper. She told me that at first Cinnamon seemed to eat paper a lot but that soon ended and she hasn't mentioned it for ages. If you give it a try, and I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO, give it several days or a couple weeks for the novelty to wear off. If anyone on the Digest has had a negative experience with too much paper eating using shredded paper, please speak up.
     I put the paper in pretty thickly and Bud loves to make paths and somewhat high 'walls' of paper build up on each side of the paths. Then, when he gets excited, he jumps over the 'walls' and kicks up his heels.

Carla and Silly Bud