[Gpdd] Health: Guinea Pig Lice

Megan Gladney byrne51250 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 12 00:17:30 EST 2005

I think Phylo has guinea pig lice! I'm calling the vet tomorrow morning, but
I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I was actually
checking Phylo for  fleas. I had recently been to a friend's house and I
discovered that her cat has had fleas for quite some time and she has not
done anything about it, so I was making sure that no stray fleas had hitched
a ride on me to my piggie. I thought he was clean, as he had not been
scratching excessively and I did not see any 'flea dirt'. However, when I
started checking the fur on his bum, I saw long, ovoid white moving creepy
crawlies in his fur, close to the skin. When I looked up this description,
it said it is likely guinea pig lice, which is more common than fleas for
piggies. I've had Phylo for about 3 weeks now, and I'm assuming he got them
while he was still at the pet store, as I don't have any other pigs. Does
anyone have some words of comfort or advice? Are these crawlies super hard
to get rid of?

An itchy Phylo and his panicking mom, Megan.