[Gpdd] MISC: Feeders and dumping food

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 26 14:18:26 EST 2005

Hi everyone,

  I haven't posted in a while. I wanted to first express my condolences for everyone who has lost one of their precious piggies. I have cried at each heart-felt remembrance of the piggies and wish you all comfort in those memories.

  An update on my Sonny-bunny. He has been on a bit of a roller-coaster ride again. His weight dropped down to about 700g but has now returned to 860g! This wonderful occurence I think was helped along with the regrowth of the one top incisor he lost a while ago, so now he is back to three front teeth and is managing a bit better, although he still won't eat any hay. He gets tooth trims (back molars) every 3-4 weeks but hopefully with the appearance of this tooth, he can eat more crunchy stuff and wear down those molars on his own. Each time he goes under anesthesia, I worry incessantly.

  I was intrigued about this topic of food dumping... Why do we want to stop the food dumping? Foraging is a natural behavior and so some piggies prefer to forage their food instead of reach into their dish at an unnatural posture. I have several food dumpers and they always find all of the pellets. I also have several who are so dainty I doubt they would eat it if it wasn't in a dish! Yes, it is a bit messy for us slaves, but it is fun for them so who cares, really?

  The other thing mentioned was these bin feeders and I just wanted to add my opinion. The biggest problem I see with bin feeders is that you never know how much your pig is eating. When you put in a dish of food every day, you see how much they eat, how much they leave, etc., but when you fill up a bin feeder, how do you know that when it can contain a week's worth of food? When a piggy gets sick, they stop eating which is clear when you have a dish, but with a bin, how would you know until a few days pass and the piggy is then very lethargic?

  It is just my opinion, but I think bin feeders are bad, bad news. Not to mention the injury hazard of getting their little heads caught in it as previously mentioned.

  Be well,
  Lisa and the gang at Wheeks and Squeaks GP Rescue
  Murr-Burr, Chew-Boo, Zipp-er-doodle, and Jack-Jack in mem